What in damnation?! Terry Gilliam's operatic directorial debut with The Damnation of Faust at the Coliseum, 2011
His work has delighted millions around the world, as a member of the Monty Python team but most importantly as the show's unique animator. The 'bits between the live sketches' have been an inspiration for many filmgoers, film-makers and comedy-writers, including Modern Toss (the train eating railway/car-eating roads skits).
Terry Gilliam is also famed for his cinema work, not only the Python films but also Time Bandits, Brazil, The Fisher King, Baron Munchausen and 12 Monkeys, so it seems only fitting that Gilliam's taste for the dramatic should now extend into opera.
In collaboration with the English National Opera, he has taken up the directorial reins with Berlioz's fantasy-opera "The Damnation of Faust", a work just as famous for its lavish sets and characters as for its music. The story concerns Faust, an ageing scholar who is tired of life yet decides to live his last days to the full under the watchful and mischievous direction of Méphistophélès.
This exciting translation by Gilliam will play at the ENO home of the London Coliseum from 6th May to 7th June 2011 with tickets now on sale, priced at £15 - £95 depending on seats. Demand is sure to be very high.
You may be interested in
- Wed 12th Mar 2014 and Fri 14th Mar 2014 English National Opera, RigolettoLondon Coliseum (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Mar 2014 and Sat 15th Mar 2014 Rodelinda, English National Opera: Directed by Richard JonesLondon Coliseum (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd May 2014 to Tue 3rd Jun 2014 Thebans, English National OperaLondon Coliseum (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jun 2014 to Fri 27th Jun 2014 Benvenuto Cellini, English National OperaLondon Coliseum (London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Jun 2014 to Sat 5th Jul 2014 The Pearl Fishers [ENO], English National OperaLondon Coliseum (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Jul 2014 Monty Python Live, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets