Grunge and grease - Kurt's heroes, Mudhoney and The Vaselines announce Autumn UK tours and tickets
It isn't often we gel two separate tours together in the same article, unless it's a spot of the old Fat Friday or The Week Ahead of course. But here we have two very influential bands that one Kurt Cobain got considerable inspiration from. They have also toured together and share the same record-label, Sub-Pop.
Their recent album "Lucky Ones" slipped under the radar a bit in 2008, but the band are keen to soldier on with it, plus their back catalogue successes. At ATP in New York, for example, they are due to replay "Superfuzz Bigmuff", a true-landmark of an album that pre-empted the so-called grunge-scene by a good few Alice In Chains riffs. Now they are set to play a few Ireland dates before heading to Newcastle (4th Oct), Brighton (5th), Camden (6th), Leeds (7th), Aberdeen (8th) and finally Glasgow on the 9th. Tickets are on sale now at around £15. Blisteringly good value for a legendary band.
Less well-known, but no less important, are Edinburgh's The Vaselines who formed in the mid-80s and released two fine EPs containing songs that were to adorn Nirvana albums during their short-lived world-domination. "Son Of A Gun" and "Molly's Lips" ended up on "Incesticide" whilst the rather lovely "Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam" appeared on the million-selling "MTV Unplugged" set.
The quintet are back on the road in September with a handful of dates in Leeds (17th), Cardiff (19th), Nottingham (20th), Bristol (21st), London Scala (22nd) and Manchester on the 23rd. All tickets are available now EXCEPT the Scala gig - this goes on sale at 10am tomorrow (9th). Tickets are £10 - £12.50 and sure to fly out.
And we couldn't leave you without mentioning the wondrous Teenage Fanclub, another Cobain favourite. Apart from their nearly-sold out date at Shepherd's Bush (a few box office collection tickets are still available), they have been confirmed to play the Galway Festival on 22nd July. Oh and their new album is rather good - check out our review!
You may be interested in
- Fri 19th Dec 2014 and Sat 20th Dec 2014 SlowdiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Dec 2014 to Sun 21st Dec 2014 Euros ChildsBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Dec 2014 to Wed 22nd Apr 2015 Northern Soul: ScreeningBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Jan 2015 to Mon 19th Jan 2015 J MascisBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Jan 2015 to Thu 29th Jan 2015 Mark LaneganBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Feb 2015 to Fri 27th Feb 2015 The Jesus & Mary ChainBuy Tickets
- Thu 19th Feb 2015 to Sun 26th Jul 2015 Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Feb 2015 to Tue 24th Feb 2015 EarthBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Feb 2015 Kris DreverFruit (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Mar 2015 to Fri 17th Apr 2015 AnathemaBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Mar 2015 to Sat 14th Nov 2015 Stiff Little FingersBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Mar 2015 Michael McGoldrick, John McCuskerHuntingdon Hall (Worcester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Mar 2015 to Sat 4th Apr 2015 ErrorsBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Apr 2015 to Sat 25th Apr 2015 Kris Drever, Boo HewerdineBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Apr 2015 The Damned, MenaceThe Aquarium (Lowestoft)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Apr 2015 and Sat 6th Jun 2015 The DamnedBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Apr 2015 Scotland Calling: The Exploited, The Damned, Angelic UpstartsO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Apr 2015 Kate RusbyCecil Sharp House (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st May 2015 to Sat 23rd May 2015 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd May 2015 to Sun 7th Jun 2015 RideBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th May 2015 Bearded Theory Festival, James, Buzzcocks, Misty in Roots, T...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jun 2015 Field Day, Ride, Patti Smith, DIIV, Outfit, Ducktails, Jane ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Aug 2015 Catrin Finch, Kate Rusby, Lucy Ward, Nancy Kerr, O'Hooley &a...The West Midlands Showground (Shrewsbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Sep 2015 UK Subs, The DamnedBisley Pavilion - Brookwood (Surrey)Buy Tickets